Wednesday, March 19, 2014

English Class Update

This is the first of many weekly blogs to come. I will be keeping you updated on my different classes here at UNCC. I will discuss English this week because it is my only class that has anything interesting going on. We are working on a couple of different projects right now. The first is a memoir. I am really happy with my memoir and am excited on getting feedback from the professor. The next assignment we are working on is our interview. I chose to interview my sister who was about 100 feet away from the bombings this past April during the Boston Marathon. It should be an interesting interview seeing as I have never discussed it with her. I am looking forward to the actual interview and whatever project we will do that goes along with it. The most recent assignment we are working on is our “This I believe” essays. I am worried I won’t be able to pick a topic that is specific enough, but I think some clustering and free writing will help me to decide on a topic. And simultaneously along all these assignments we are keeping up our blog and starting our ePortfolio. There is a lot to do in this class! I am looking forward to it all though.

My favorite thing about this class is how we are allowed to write about subjects we like especially our beliefs and ourselves. The last English class I took, I wrote research papers and papers about motifs in books. The thing I hated the most about it is that I had to write about what the teacher wanted. If I took a different viewpoint on her, even if there was sufficient evidence and solid writing, she would not like the paper. This happened to myself and many other students. But in this class we are writing about things that interest us. Our memoir? About a section of our own lives. Our interview? We get to choose the person and topic. Our personal essays? We get to write about something we believe in and why. I love this approach to an English class.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I also like this English class very much. Before I don't like writing, because it's so hard for me and I don't know how to get started with the opening. With one semester's training of free writing, it's much easier to me now. Besides, I am very interested in your interview about your sister. During the Boston Marathon, a beautiful Chinese girl died due to the bombing. It's so pity. Your sister is a lucky one.

    ReplyDelete